Tomato Soup Recipe, by Joanne Kennedy
• 2 lbs of fresh, loosely chopped tomatoes (I don’t peel my tomatoes, but to cut down the acidity you can.)
• 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
• 1 large onion loosely chopped
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and whole but broken open with the flat side of a knife
• 2 – 4 tbls olive oil
• 5 fresh basil leaves or a pinch of dried basil
• 1 sprig of fresh oregano (leaves only) or a pinch of dried oregano
• A pinch of red chili pepper flakes
• A pinch of nutmeg
• 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
• Salt and pepper to taste
* If you prefer a creamy texture, you can add 1 cup heavy cream (half and half, whole milk or almond milk can be used as substitute depending on taste and dietary needs.) Enjoy!
On medium-high heat, place olive oil in a large pan. When hot add garlic to infuse the oil with garlic flavor. Add onions and turn down heat to medium. Add carrots and sauté until onions are soft and a little caramelized. Add chopped tomatoes. Sauté for a few minutes and then add chicken stock, chili flakes, nutmeg, basil and oregano. Simmer on medium heat then take off heat for a few minutes. Transfer soup to a Vitamix or blender. Blend on low and drizzle a little bit of really good olive oil to emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with basil or a drizzle of olive oil and crumbled goat cheese. My family likes this soup best served with a grilled cheese sandwich.
You can also roast the tomatoes, carrots, onions and garlic for a richer and deeper flavor. To roast, preheat oven to 375. Toss the tomatoes, carrots, onions and garlic with olive oil salt and pepper in a baking sheet with a rim and roast for 45 minutes. Pour the vegetables and stock into a Vitamix or blender and continue with directions above.
The Old House New House Home Show returns to Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, IL. Join us Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10 am – 5pm February 10 – 11 – 12, 2017.
Explore the latest in kitchens, baths, basements, additions, landscaping, painting, windows,tile, flooring, doors and more. Discover 300 select contractors, designers & craftsmen.
Enjoy Inspiring Workshops:
- Sherwin-Williams Color Forecast 11 am Friday
- Live Broadcast with WGN’s Mr. Fix-It, Lou Manfredini 7-10 am Saturday
- Meet Lou Manfredini in the Perma-Seal Booth 10:15-11:15 Saturday
- Design Your Dream Kitchen 1 pm Daily
- Beautiful Bathrooms 2 pm Daily
- Decorating Style School with The DIY Playbook Noon Sunday
Adults $7 • Seniors $4 • Children Free • Parking Free
A portion of ticket proceeds benefits The Habitat for Humanity of Northern Fox Valley.